There are a number of things that are seemingly simple and yet, given enough time, lead to impressive and dramatic results, like an acorn eventually growing into a mighty oak. But often we neglect these small and simple things. The reasons vary. Sometimes we just forget positive actions that fly under our radar due to their simplicity:
- contacting a friend or relative,
- performing small acts of kindness,
- spiritual nourishment through daily prayer and study,
Other times, there are things we know we should do, but that are difficult to form into regular habits:
- healthy sleeping, eating, and exercise routines,
- putting important tasks first instead of procrastinating,
- responding to setbacks and frustrations with patience,
And then there are solutions to difficult problems that are nonetheless neglected because they just seem too simple to work. For example:
- Daily expressions of gratitude for the things we have leads to greater happiness more reliably than the acquisition of goods.
- Patiently listening and validating the feelings of another is more helpful than telling them how to fix their problems.
- Loving our enemies and treating them how we want to be treated leads to lasting positive change in them more often than retaliation and humiliation does.